Claire, you have a way of clearing my mind, wiping away my list of to-dos, and calming my swirling thoughts. Your pull over me is delicate and strong. Lying down with you in my arms, the age-old calming reflex kicks in. The one Dr. Karp (Happiest Baby on the Block) has me convinced I need to help you find. I am to recreate what life in the womb was like for you with swaddling, side-lying, swinging, shushing, and sucking.
But today it is you who is teaching me. For a moment we don't live in this society running on an ever tightening schedule, always moving from one task to the next, tasking away our days. For an hour, one sweet hour, I am nothing but your mother, you are my baby, and that is everything. With you in my arms, I imagine living in a materially simpler time and place. I can almost forget everything that surrounds me as your sweetness envelopes me. I can still smell the chrism oil with which you were anointed on the day of your baptism. A little priestess and queen in God's kingdom. I push away thoughts of how all to soon you'll be toddling around in a flurry of activity.
For now your activity consists of cooing and talking to the dancing sun above your activity gym and the red bird hanging on your carseat. Blinking lights and bright colors hold your interest for a bit, but it's looking into my face that really brings out the dimples. I am unabashedly your greatest joy, all the stimulation you need. And you, my little one, are my livelihood.

No comments:
Post a Comment